Anxiety can dominate your life and give you panic attacks from time to time if you don't have control over it. It can have a devastating impact on your mental health and can change your life for the worse. But instead of pitying yourself for having anxiety and focusing on the negative side of this condition, you can use the 3 3 3 rule for anxiety - one of the most effective tips to use to feel less anxious in minimum time.
What is The 3 3 3 Rule For Anxiety?
The 3 3 3 rule consists of looking around you whenever you feel a panic attack approaching you. You need to focus on naming three things you see. Follow it up by naming three sounds you hear around you. Lastly, move three parts of your body that include your ankles, arms and fingers. This 3 3 3 rule for anxiety, coupled with deep breathing, has always proven to be exceptionally effective for people struggling with anxiety. Following this rule of three calms your stress in minimum time, brings you back to the present moment and helps you find peace within the chaos that might be surrounding you.
Benefits of Practicing The 3 3 3 Rule to Get Rid of Anxiety:
It isn't easy to live a life with anxiety or an anxiety disorder. But managing panic attacks along with anxiety can become easier if you know the right techniques to reduce them and feel better. If you're someone who's been constantly struggling with managing anxiety and the feeling of overwhelm, you need to try the 333 rule.
By practising the 3 3 3 rule, you will learn how to:
- Distract your mind from the panic
- Stay in the present moment
- Keep your mind away from unwanted thoughts
- Pull away from negative emotions and feelings
When you're in the middle of a panic attack, grounding techniques like the 333 rule for anxiety won't be easy to practice. It will become more challenging to practice it at work when you're feeling anxious. This is why you should know that it takes time to build the 3 3 3 rule of anxiety by constantly practising it. All you have to do is be patient and keep trying your best, no matter how many times you fail.
Additional Tips to Help You Practice the 3 3 3 Rule:
- Keep practising this technique even when you don't feel anxious or overwhelmed. Doing this will come in handy when you actually start experiencing a panic attack or anxiety in a situation.
- Don't wait for a difficult situation to arise to use the 333 rule for anxiety. Even if the stress is minimal, practice this exercise. It's always better to calm yourself down when it's just the beginning instead of letting it blow out of proportion.
- When you practice the 333 rule, make sure to keep all your focus on your environment and not on your feelings or thoughts.
- It's better to check in with yourself 10 minutes before and after using the 333 rule for anxiety. Try to understand how you're feeling to know if it worked or not.
- Always keep your eyes open while following the 3 3 3 rule. A lot of people shut their eyes but that doesn't help as you can't notice and focus on your environment that way.
- Remember to breathe in and breathe out slowly and deeply while you practice this grounding technique. It will help you regain control over yourself and the situation.
- Consult a professional for help if none of the anxiety management techniques, including the 3 3 3 rule, work in your favour.
Other than following a grounding technique to reduce anxiety, you can rely on some skincare products to calm down your mind, body and senses. Pure Sense is a premium brand that offers skincare and self-care products that are made with 100% natural ingredients and are cruelty-free and earth-friendly. You can use any of the below-mentioned products whenever you feel like pampering yourself at the comfort of your home.
Pure Sense Products for Ultimate Skincare:
Macadamia 3-in-1 Renewing Face Mask, Scrub & Cleanser:
Formulated with the goodness of Macdamia, Macadamia 3-in-1 Renewing Face Mask, Scrub & Cleanser instantly brightens and revives your skin. It is packed with capric triglyceride that makes your skin supple. This face mask, scrub and cleanser also contains Kaolin that gently exfoliates your skin, cleans pores and prevents breakouts.
Macadamia Deep Nourishing Body Butter:
Macadamia Deep Nourishing Body Butter is a rich, decadent and nutty treat that provides deeply moisturised and velvety-soft skin. It is a unique blend of luxurious oils and butters that help protect your skin from drying out and any other damage. This product is infused with macadamia nut oil, which is loaded with vitamins and rare antioxidants that replenish your skin.
It might not always feel like you have control over your life, but in reality, you do. Your talents are what you can rely on the most to guide you through your panic attacks and anxiety to overcome such difficult situations and personal challenges. Most of all, you need to stay connected to your feelings at all times, especially during tough times. It's better to validate your feelings and emotions when the going gets tough. Despite feeling anxious or overwhelmed, you will still have the opportunity to be present if you know how to use some grounding techniques like the 3 3 3 rule. Always remember that you're the only one who is in control of your headspace and you need to make space for emotional processing to feel better.
Frequently Asked Questions 333 Rule Of Anxiety (FAQs):
What is the 54321 technique?Similar to the 333 rule, the 54321 tool is another simple yet powerful method to regain control over your mind when you feel anxious, stressed or overwhelmed. It consists of more than counting backwards from five. In this grounding technique, you name things that you feel in the moment according to your five senses - sight, sound, touch, smell and taste. If you're not convinced with the 3 3 3 rule, you can rely on the 54321 grounding technique instead to instantly bring you back to the present moment and feel better.
How can I reduce anxiety naturally?Here are a few natural ways to reduce anxiety in your day-to-day life:
- Practice deep breathing
- Meditate for as long as you can each day
- Get good hours of sleep
- Stay active regularly
- Maintain a healthy diet
- Ditch caffeine
- Avoid smoking and overconsumption of alcohol
What are the coping skills for anxiety?Some of the most successful coping skills for anxiety include:
- Taking a nap
- Spending time with pets
- Enjoying your personal hobbies
- Going out to meet your friends
- Performing meditation and relaxation techniques
- Having experiences that make you laugh, cry or yell out.