A healthy, soft, and glowing skin is every woman's dream. It is an important aspect of our personality as well as our overall health. As the largest organ of our body, it protects us from harmful elements, germs and viruses. Hence, it only makes sense to make a skincare routine an integral part of our daily grooming. While you probably already have a face care routine in place that includes cleansing, toning, and moisturising, it's equally crucial to take care of the skin on the rest of your body. Be it any season, don't forget to moisturise your skin. And while you're at it, pamper yourself with a product that provides ample nourishment and makes your skin feel soft, supple all day long - body oil. So, indulge in a skincare routine that includes body oils for glowing skin and a healthy complexion. It takes just a little time, but rest assured your skin will stay soft and nourished, each day, every day. Here's a detailed study of body oils, why they are the best skincare products, and how massage oil benefits your skin with regular use.
What is a body oil?Body oil is a thick, smooth, and highly concentrated liquid that you can apply on and below your neck. Organic body oils are obtained from plant sources, such as fruits, nuts, kernels, or seeds. Alternative medicine suggests using these body oils over body lotions as they do not contain chemicals, additives, or fragrances that damage the skin. Unlike mineral oils, plant-based oils have a chemical composition similar to the lipids of our skin due to which they get absorbed into our skin easily. Natural oils containing vitamin E and essential fatty acids, such as omega-6 and omega-9, are some of the best body oils for glowing skin. They act as a barrier in protecting our skin from harmful UV rays. Their antibacterial, antimicrobial, antifungal, and antiseptic properties help heal various skin ailments and infections. What's more, the antioxidant properties of body oils prevent wrinkles and pigmentation. In other words, body oil benefits the skin by supporting the formation of new cells, improving its elasticity, and nourishing it from within.
Summary: Body oils are obtained from plant sources and do not contain harmful chemicals and additives. They are rich in nutrients that protect the skin from harmful UV rays and antioxidants that nourish the skin from within. Their antibacterial and antifungal properties heal skin infections.
Benefits of using a body oil:
1. Body oils soothe and heal dry skin:Changing weather causes the skin to become dry. Cold air and lack of humidity during winters and overexposure to the sun during summers further adds to the loss of moisture and hydration. The hot water showers and the body cleansing products that we love to use also strip the body of moisture. Hence, it's important to use oils for body moisturising as they replenish the moisture and soothe dull and dry skin.
2. Body oils are non-greasy:As opposed to body lotions, body oils moisturise the skin without a greasy finish. This is because organic body oils have a molecular structure that is similar to our skin cells. It improves the absorption of the oil into the skin immediately and leaves the skin feeling soft instead of greasy.
3. Body oils for glowing skin:Regular massaging with body oils, such as the sweet almond and macadamia body oil from Pure Sense, improves the texture of the skin. It moisturises and nourishes the skin and reduces fine lines and wrinkles. Massage oil benefits the skin's elasticity by fighting the harmful free radicals, and softens the skin in the process. The use of body oils benefits acne-prone skin, too. It balances the oil secretion and evens out the skin breakouts. Our skin sheds dead cells every month. But sometimes, the dead skin cells don't shed fully and leave the skin feeling dry and flaky. Oils for body moisturising exfoliate the skin and rejuvenate it, giving you a clear, healthy, glowing complexion.
4. Body oil benefits our overall health:Massage oil benefits your health by relieving chronic aches and pains. It improves blood circulation, reduces muscle pain, and gives relief from joint pain.
5. Body oils ensure emotional wellbeing:Regular use of body oil helps alleviate high blood pressure, reduce stress, and anxiety. As natural body oils penetrate deep into the skin, they detoxify the body by pushing out the toxins. This helps you relax and frees you of the negative energy, which induces a sense of calm and happiness. And, as the negative energy is alleviated, you tend to sleep better.
Summary: Body oils moisturise the skin, reduce the signs of ageing, heal damaged skin, and balance the oil secretion. Body oils also reduce stress, relax muscles and joints, and improve sleep quality.
How to use body oilsUses of body oil are plenty. From healing dull, dry, itchy skin to treating certain skin conditions, body oils are nature's answer to our skincare issues. Here are some simple tips on how to use body oils for healthy, hydrated skin:
Pre-shower Oil Massage:According to Ayurveda, pre-shower oil massage protects the skin from losing its natural oil balance during a shower. It helps exfoliate the toxins from the body, improves blood circulation, and relaxes tense muscles. For best results, shower with a homemade body scrub - you can make one by mixing a tablespoon of gram flour, a pinch of turmeric, and a teaspoon of orange peel powder with curd or milk (ensure the scrub has a thick and smooth consistency).
Shaving:One of the surprising body oil benefits is that it is a wonderful alternative to shaving lotions or creams. It softens the skin and helps in the easy removal of hair. The oil also protects the skin from drying due to shaving and heals any nicks and cuts quickly.
Post-shower moisturising:After taking a shower, pat your skin dry and dab a little oil on the skin when it is still damp. This helps lock in the moisture and keeps the skin feeling soft and supple all day long.
Cracked heels and dry hands:Natural body oils, such as coconut oil, are an excellent alternative to foot creams. Its vitamin E and essential nutrients get absorbed into the skin and soften it faster. Body oils are also efficient moisturisers for hands that become dry from constant use of detergents, dishwashing liquids, and hand sanitisers. Just massage a little oil into your hands after finishing your chores to maintain their softness. Massaging the elbows and knees with body oils will ensure these areas stay soft and healthy, too.
Essential oils to treat fungal infections:Essential oils have antifungal, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties that help treat infections. Ringworm, athlete's foot, toenail fungus, and jock itch can be treated with these oils. Essential oils mixed with coconut oil help treat fungal infections and heal the skin with regular application.
Summary: Body oils exfoliate and moisturise the skin and improve blood circulation. They can be used before and after a shower, at bedtime, and also while shaving. Coconut oil heals cracked heels and softens dry hands, elbows, and knees. Essential body oils should be mixed with coconut oil to help treat fungal infections.
How to choose a good body oilNatural body oils contain important nutrients and antioxidants essential for our skin. Some top body oils are: - Coconut oil - Sweet Almond oil - Olive oil - Grapeseed oil - Sesame oil - Argan oil - Jojoba oil - Avocado oil - Flaxseed oil - Pomegranate seed oil - Rosehip seed oil
Remember these pointers when buying body oils:- Choose oils that are thin and lightweight and have a long shelf life. - Check for the chemical composition and purity of the oils, too. It's advisable to do a patch test before buying essential oils, as some of them could cause an adverse reaction due to their ingredients. - Wash your forearm, apply a few drops of oil on the area, and observe it for 24 hours. If it doesn't turn red or feel itchy, the oil is safe to use. - If you're planning to use essential oils, make sure that you dilute them with natural oils, such as coconut oil, to make them safe for use. Essential oils are strong and can also harm people with sensitive skin or those suffering from eczema. So, always pick essential oils only after careful consideration or consulting with your skin specialist.
Summary: Always check the label for chemical composition when buying body oils. A patch test on the forearm before buying essential oils will prevent skin damage or skin allergies. Essential oils may harm sensitive and acne-prone skin, so always consult your skin specialist before buying essential oils.How often should you use body oil?|Which body oil is the best for ladies?For soft, supple skin, it is ideal to use body oil every day. Massaging with body oil before a shower protects the skin from losing moisture, and applying it after a shower helps to lock in the moisture. Oiling helps soften dry skin during winters as well as summers, as it provides necessary hydration. Applying oil to the feet at night results in better sleep. Regular body massage alleviates tension and stress, calms the mind, relaxes the muscles and joints, and improves overall wellbeing. Applying oil for body moisturising should, therefore, be a part of your everyday skincare routine.|Natural body oils, such as coconut oil, sweet almond and macadamia oil, jojoba oil, olive oil, argan oil, grapeseed oil, and sesame oil, are the best body oils for glowing skin. These oils contain vital nutrients that nourish dull and dry skin, exfoliate and rejuvenate the skin, and reduce fine lines and wrinkles. Natural body oils also help reduce dark spots caused by pigmentation. They improve the texture of the skin and give us healthy, radiant skin without a greasy finish and clogged pores.