After almost two years of uncertainties and lockdowns, 2022 finally seems to be the year that will see us all out and about. Sunny days are around the corner! So, make the most of this summer without worrying too much about allergies, itchy skin and rashes.
Skin problems in summer are definitely a matter of concern. However, if you equip yourself with the correct strategies to treat allergies and other skin diseases, you can safely soak in some summer vibes. Read on to learn more about some tips, and dos and don’ts concerning your skin in this season.
Most common skin problems in summer
Want to learn more about your summer skin problems as well as solutions to tackle them? Let us first get a thorough idea about the various issues that can plague the skin.
Summer skin allergies:
Out of the many summer allergies, itchy skin is a common phenomenon. Exposure to sun can lead to the formation of itchy, red spots on the skin.
Hot and humid conditions cause prickly rashes to erupt as tiny bumps, surrounded by reddish skin. This causes an unpleasant, stinging sensation.
Eczema (Atopic dermatitis):
Excessive heat may result in secretion of histamines (compounds released in response to an allergy). These aggravate eczema, wherein patches of skin get inflamed and dried up.
This is a case of skin inflammation due to exposure to poison ivy or poison oak. Since summer months are meant for outdoor activities like hiking and camping, it is easier to get exposed to these plants. About 80-90% of people are allergic to the oily allergen known as urushiol contained in these plants.
Common triggers for hives include campfire smoke, insect bites and the chlorine in swimming pools. Reddish, raised welts appear on the skin as a natural reaction of your body to an allergy.
Summer skin diseases:
Acne:Hot and humid weather causes increased sweat and oil secretions from the skin. This blocks the oil pores, resulting in acne breakouts. Acne is among the most common skin diseases in summer season. It causes pimples, whiteheads and blackheads.
Melasma (facial pigmentation):Exposure to the ultraviolet radiations of the sun may cause an over-stimulation of melanin. This leads to patchy hyperpigmentation and skin discolouration.
Skin infection in summer:
Yeast infections:Yeasts, which are part of the normal skin flora, may enter the hair follicles and multiply due to profuse sweating. The condition is called folliculitis. Acne-like breakouts or pus-filled blisters can erupt on the skin due to this condition.
Fungal infections:Most of us get sweaty feet in summer. A moist environment causes fungi on our skin to multiply, resulting in infection. Athlete’s foot is a common fungal infection that develops between the toes, with the skin turning dry, itchy and flaky.
Other skin issues in summer:
Dry skin and chapped lips:This occurs due to less humidity and sun exposure.
Sunburn and tanning:This leads to changes in skin tone and outbreaks of blisters.
Body odour:Sweat provides a great breeding ground for the bacteria on your skin to multiply. Bacteria break down proteins in sweat, producing an unpleasant smell.
How to treat skin problems in summer
With summer setting in, skin issues are inevitable. Using nature-inspired ingredients will not only solve these issues, they will also reflect your choices towards clear and conscious beauty. Pure Sense products are infused with natural ingredients like grapefruit and macadamia. These have gentle, exfoliating properties and also help to lock in moisture. They help to keep your skin’s pores unclogged.
What can be done about summer skin allergies?
- Use lotions or gels that cool the skin and protect it from itchiness.
- A cool shower helps to treat heat rashes.
- In cases of eczema and contact dermatitis, avoid scratching the affected area. Take anti-allergic medication on your doctor’s advice.
- Cold compresses work wonders for treating hives. You can also use an anti-itch, calamine lotion for instant relief.
- Additionally, include products that can keep your skin well-moisturised and keep skin-allergies at bay. One such amazing product is the Pure Sense Macadamia 3-in-1 Renewing Face Mask, Scrub and Cleanser. It packs the goodness of three major skincare steps into one - cleansing, exfoliating and masking. What’s more, the product is vegan, cruelty-free and chemical-free, which makes it safer to use on your skin.
Measures to prevent summer skin diseases:
- Avoid creams/ointments containing petroleum oil as it can further block the skin pores.
- For prevention of acne, it is important to remove excess oil, dirt and sweat from your skin. Follow a strict exfoliation and cleansing routine daily.
- Proper sun protection (by using sunscreen) ensures fewer chances of pigmentation and melasma.
- This is where the Pure Sense 3-in-1 face mask, scrub and cleanser comes into the picture again. Infused with natural ingredients like grapefruit and kaolin clay, this product ensures an oil-free and well-balanced nourishment for your skin.
Ways to control skin infection in summer
- Folliculitis is caused by multiplication of bacteria. In mild cases, cleaning with a warm, wet cloth and applying a hydrocortisone cream works. But, in severe cases, antibiotics are your best option.
- For treating fungal infections like athlete’s foot, wash and dry the feet thoroughly on a regular basis. Apply antifungal medication as needed.
Tips to take care of skin issues in the summer
- Let your worries of summer allergies, itchy skin and rashes be a thing of the past. Here are nine useful suggestions to help you deal with your common skin problems in summer:
- Drink plenty of water. Trust us, your skin will thank you for it.
- Wear loose-fitting, breathable fabrics to prevent sweat accumulation.
- Follow a regular scrubbing, cleansing, toning and moisturising regimen for your skin to stay supple and hydrated.
- Don’t forget your lips. They need moisturising too! For best results, use the Pure Sense Grapefruit UV Protection Lip Balm. Containing a combination of natural ingredients like grapefruit, castor oil, karanja oil and beeswax, this lip balm is your best bet to avoid dry, chapped lips!
- Use good-quality sunscreens and deodorants.
- Load up your diet with antioxidant-rich foods and fresh fruits.
- Cut down on heavy makeup.
- Take regular showers.
- Use skincare products rich in natural and organic ingredients. Follow the clear and conscious beauty trend.
Summer is all about outdoor activities and basking in the sun. With a quality range of products from Pure Sense, you can safely enjoy what the season has to offer without worrying about the repercussions for your skin. Rest assured, you can restore your skin’s natural balance at the end of a day out in the sun.
FAQs for ways to manage skin problems in summers
Can hot weather cause skin problems?Yes. Hot weather can lead to multiple skin issues like heat rashes, skin allergies, dermatitis, hives, melasma, sunburn, acne, itchy skin, and yeast and fungal infections, to name a few. But, the good news is that these issues can be prevented by proper awareness. Pure Sense products help you to avert skin diseases in the summer season.
Why does my skin look worse in the summer?Firstly, lack of humidity (especially if you are mostly in an air-conditioned environment) makes your skin look dry and flaky. Secondly, increased sweating blocks your skin pores and results in acne breakouts. Thirdly, greater exposure to UV rays causes skin pigmentation and discolouration. For all these reasons, your skin tends to look more worn out and dull in the summer.
Why do I break out during summer?
Excessive sweating in summer causes your skin pores to get clogged easily. Oil and dead skin cells block the openings in the skin. This causes the skin to get infected easily by bacteria. The bacteria don’t allow the oil to escape, resulting in pimples and breakouts erupting on your skin during the summer.