What is Tanning?
What are the Causes of Skin Tan?
How to do Tan Removal Treatment
How To Prevent Sun Tanning?
FAQ on Tan Removal
Summer might not be everyone’s favourite season of the year, but it is definitely a freeing experience after the harsh winters that force you to cosy up inside your home. However, the beach getaways, pool parties and endless ventures outdoors also pave the way for skin tanning. While this tan will eventually wade off automatically, you can opt for a quick tan removal naturally.
Today, we will learn all about skin tanning, how to remove tan from the skin, the easiest ways to get rid of tan from the face and more! So let’s get right into it, shall we?
What is Tanning?
Before we understand the process of tan removal and answer your burning questions like how to remove sun tan from your face overnight, let’s first understand what tanning is. Sun tanning, in simple terms, happens due to continuous sun exposure making your skin become a few tones darker than your natural skin colour. You can see this difference very clearly in the parts that are continuously exposed to the sun and the parts that are not.
Skin tanning is common in people with darker skin or sensitive skin as it gets easily affected by the UV rays that cause the skin to tan. While your skin naturally heals the skin tan over time, you can quicken the process. If you are wondering how to remove sun tan from your face overnight, there are several natural remedies that you can try.
However, before we get there, let’s first understand what causes skin tanning.
What are the Causes of Skin Tan?
Skin tan happens when you are exposed to UV rays for a prolonged time. Now, this exposure can either be caused directly from the sun in summers when the sun is closer to the Earth, causing more damage or through artificial appliances that radiate UV rays.
The reason skin tanning happens is that when you come in contact with ultraviolet rays (UVA or UVB) your skin gets affected. These rays affect your skin’s layers - Epidermis, Dermis and Subcutaneous tissue.
UVA penetrates the lowest layers of the epidermis to trigger the production of melanin, the skin colour pigment. As your skin starts to produce more melanin, it tends to become darker. Melanin is an effort by your skin to naturally protect your skin from UV damage, which causes tanning.
In theory, the simplest solution to stop yourself from tanning is to reduce melanin production by providing your skin with protection from UV damage, hence the sunscreens. Luckily, there are various things you can try for tan removal.
How to do Tan Removal Treatment?
Now that we know about the reason behind skin tanning, we can answer your questions like how to remove sun tan or how to remove tan from skin naturally. Here are some of the easiest methods that you can follow at home for tan removal.
When talking about how to remove tan from skin naturally, the first few ingredients that come to our minds are gram flour, honey, rice flour, milk, turmeric, etc. Here is how you can use these ingredients for easy tan removal:
Gram Flour and Turmeric Mask
Here’s a quick and easy way to lighten suntan using natural ingredients such as gram flour and turmeric.
- Gram Flour
- Take a cup of gram flour and add one teaspoon of turmeric powder to the cup and mix it with milk and water to form a paste.
- Apply the paste to tanned areas on your body such as the face, arms, neck, etc.
- Let the paste dry naturally, and then remove it using lukewarm water gently.
Potato juice is a natural bleaching agent that can help to correct skin tone.
- Raw potato
- Simply take a raw potato and extract the juice. You can do this by grating the potato and using a clean cloth to squeeze the pulp.
- Apply the juice to tanned areas in your skin and leave it for around ten minutes. Wash it off with water to get glowing skin.
Honey and Papaya Mask
Honey has known soothing properties and can nourish your skin to get rid of dryness and inflammation. Papaya helps in cleansing and treating your skin.
- Mash a half cup of papaya to a pulp using a fork.
- Mix a teaspoon of raw money into the pulp and mix it well.
- Apply the mixture to the tanned areas and allow it to dry naturally.
- Wash the mixture off with lukewarm water.
Milk and Rice Flour Mask
Milk has lactic acid, which when mixed with rice flour helps in gently removing the dead skin layer and treating sunburned skin.
- Rice flour
- Cold Milk
- Take two tablespoons of rice flour and pour cold milk to form a thick paste.
- Generously apply the mixture all over your tanned skin.
- Leave the mixture to dry naturally and wash it off with lukewarm water.
Saffron and Milk Mask
Saffron is the most expensive herb but it is also loaded with vitamins and minerals good for your skin. It helps in treating skin problems and lightening the complexion.
- Take 4-5 strands of saffron and dip them into a half cup of milk.
- Let the milk soak the saffron for at least 30 minutes, and apply the milk to your face, neck and arm.
- Leave the milk on your arm for two to three hours and wash it off with cold water to remove the stubborn tan.
Sandalwood and Rose Water Mask
Sandalwood is a known herb for its medicinal properties and cooling nature. It can heal a variety of skin problems and, when mixed with rose water, can help in healing tanned skin quickly.
- Sandalwood powder
- Rose Water
- Make a thick paste with rose water and two tablespoons of sandalwood powder.
- Apply the paste generously to your face using a brush or fingers.
- After the paste dries naturally, wash off with cold water.
Fuller’s Earth and Aloe Vera Gel Mask
Aloe Vera gel is a super ingredient known for its numerous skin benefits and healing properties. Fuller’s Earth or commonly known as Multani Mitti, is a relaxing and cooling ingredient with anti-inflammatory properties that helps in healing tanned and inflamed skin.
- Fuller’s Earth
- Aloe Vera Gel
- Take two tablespoons of Fuller’s Earth and mix it with 2-3 tablespoons of fresh aloe vera gel.
- Blend the mixture to form a thick paste and apply it to the affected areas on the skin.
- Wash the mixture off with lukewarm water after 15-20 minutes.
These are some of the easiest and most effective ways to remove tan naturally. However, as they say, prevention is better than cure, so let’s take a look at the best way to prevent sun tanning.
How To Prevent Sun Tanning?
If you are wondering how to remove sun tan, then you can follow any of the methods mentioned above according to your skin type and preference. However, while following these methods can help you in tan removal, you should protect your skin and prevent sun tanning as it can harm your skin and cause premature ageing due to free radical activity. One of the easiest ways to prevent sun tanning is by using sunscreen. There are several benefits of a sunscreen, such as:
- Using sunscreen every day can reduce the signs of ageing by protecting the collagen and connective tissues of your skin.
- Limit the appearance of sunspots that are caused due to sun damage and exposure to UV rays.
- Protect your skin from sunburn that can cause inflammation and intense pain.
- Sunscreens are also helpful in reducing the risk of skin cancer.
- UV damage can cause telangiectasias, which are caused by broken blood vessels. UV rays can make your blood vessels thinner and cause bleeding or bruising.
Sunscreen is extremely important, and every skincare expert or dermatologist will advise you to use sunscreen as a part of your daily skincare routine. However, when choosing sunscreen, you need to be careful about a few things. For instance, you should only use natural products as chemical-based products might cause a reaction on your skin. Also, you should pick sunscreen that is compatible with your skin type. You can also choose a sunscreen with moisturising properties for extra protection to your skin.
We recommend you to try Pure Sense Grapefruit Reviving Day Cream, which is a lightweight, quick-absorbing daily face moisturiser that nourishes your skin and protects it from sun damage. This day cream provides UVA and UVB protection to protect your skin from photodamage with SPF 20 PA +++ protection with no white cast.
Moreover, Pure Sense is a completely natural beauty care brand developed from natural extracts of nutrient rich fruits and herbs. For instance, this day cream is made from grapefruit extracts that are enriched with vitamin C, which also help in sun protection and reversing free radical activity with the help of antioxidants.
Protecting your skin from UV damage is the best way to ensure good skin health and problem-free skin throughout the summers. However, if you have developed tanned skin and want to know how to remove sun tan, you can follow these natural remedies for the answer.
FAQs on ways to remove tan naturally
How to remove sun tan from face overnight?If you are wondering how to remove sun tan from your face overnight, your best choice is to follow a natural DIY face mask or scrub that will help in lightening your skin tone to its natural levels easily. For instance, you can use a honey and papaya mask or a milk and rice flour mask for best results.
How to remove sunburn from the face quickly?There are several natural ways to remove sunburn from the face quickly. For instance, you can use a saffron and milk mask, which will help in soothing your skin and recover its natural glow. Moreover, you should always go out with sunscreen to avoid severe damage to your skin and retain its natural health.
How to get rid of a suntan?There are several ways to get rid of suntan. However, the best way to protect your skin from UV damage is to use sunscreen. But if you have already suffered skin damage, you can try various natural remedies such as a honey and papaya mask or milk and rice flour mask.