Importance of Yoga in Daily Life:
Yoga exercises typically help recharge your body along with cosmic energy and facilitate -
- Enhancement of personal power
- Attainment of perfect harmony and equilibrium
- Promoting self-healing
- Helping in focus, concentration and attention
- Reducing stress and tension in your physical body by activating the parasympathetic nervous system
- Bettering relationships
- Living with greater awareness
Importance of Meditation in Daily Life:
Meditation produces a deep state of relaxation and a tranquil mind along with -
- Reducing stress
- Slowing down the ageing process
- Positive thinking and emotional stability
- Improving health
- Bettering sleep
- Maintaining happiness
Interesting and Scientific Meditation Facts You Should Know Of:A lot of people are opening their minds to meditative practices. There are many studies that reveal countless facts about the science of meditation. Here are some scientific facts about meditation that you will love to know -
1. It Can At Times Be More Effective Than Sleep:
A study conducted in 2006 made college students participate in a study associated with the effects of meditation, where they were asked to either sleep, watch television or meditate. Each student's focus was then tested by asking them to press a button whenever a green light appeared on a screen in front of them. You'll be surprised to know that the students who meditated outscored even the sleepers by a whopping 10%.
2. It Can Be a More Effective Painkiller Than Morphine:Many people understand the importance of meditation as it can work amazingly as a painkiller where it calms the somatosensory cortex in the brain and encourages activity in other parts of the brain. Research done by Wake Forest Baptist University figured out that meditation has a very powerful effect at decreasing the intensity of pain you feel by 40% and the overall unpleasant feeling of pain by 57%. Morphine, in comparison to meditation, reduces pain by only about 25%. So, people who practice mindful meditation have a higher pain tolerance than those who don't meditate at all.
3. It Can Make Decision-Making Easier:
One of the most surprising facts about meditation is that it can be very helpful in decision making. According to a study by UCLA in 2012, people who routinely meditate for an extended amount of time have larger amounts of gyrification, i.e. folding of the brain's cortex, than the average brain. When you have an increased gyrification, it helps you make your decisions easier. Meditation can lead to improvements in the way your brain performs a series of tasks, including making decisions. Do you even need to know more about the importance of meditation after this point?
4. It Can Improve Heart Health:The importance of meditation isn't just for the brain but also the heart. A study published in the 2012 edition of Circulation: Cardiovascular Quality and Outcomes found that this technique can improve heart health to a great extent. At least 201 people with coronary heart disease were made to choose between taking a class on either transcendental meditation or diet and exercise-based health. Five years down the line, it was found that those who chose to meditate had reduced their overall risk of heart attack, stroke and death by a whopping 48%.
5. It Can Slow Down, or even Prevent, Some Neurodegenerative Diseases:A study conducted by the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston proved a link between meditation-induced stress and slowing down certain neurodegenerative diseases like dementia and Alzheimer's. During the course of the mindfulness stress reduction study, the participating Alzheimer's patients portrayed a slower progression after eight weeks than the patients who did not participate at all. Isn't this one of the best facts about meditation?
6. It Can Overcome Addictions:
If you already know the importance of meditation, you must know that it can greatly help overcome addictions. There are several studies conducted over the recent years that can back this up. Some of the notable publications such as Addiction Research, Journal of Addiction Medicine, and Mindfulness and Acceptance have published these studies too. One of the studies looked at 19 adults who were addicted to alcohol. Nearly 15 of these adults underwent an eight-week meditation course, by the end of which 47% of the participants reported total abstinence. An additional 47% reported only one heavy drink a day. By the end of the course, 87% of the participants understood the importance of meditation in life. And 85% of them called it a "useful relapse prevention tool" while 90% said they were "very likely" to continue meditating in daily life.
Meditation has been an ancient tradition, but it is still being practised in cultures all over the world to create a sense of inner harmony and calm. This technique is less about faith and more about altering consciousness, finding awareness and achieving peace. In recent times, with the greater need to reduce overall stress in the midst of our busy schedules and demanding lives, the importance of meditation in life has enormously increased. Always remember, there is no right or wrong way to practice meditation.
It's important to find a practice that meets your needs and complements your personality. Explore our blog section to read more about What is Meditation, Meditation to Relieve Stress, Benefits of Meditation to get relaxed and pamper yourself at home.
Frequently Asked Questions Importance Of Meditation (FAQs)
1. Why is meditation so powerful?
After reading all the interesting facts about meditation, you might have already understood that meditation has the ability to slow down racing thoughts, ease out an overly stressed brain and nurture a tired soul. It can bring peace to your mind and body and has the potential to heal your overall health on many levels.
2. What happens if you meditate every day?
Meditation, when practiced regularly and consistently, helps boost your productivity. This technique increases your focus and attention and also improves your ability to multitask. Meditation is a tool that helps clear out your mind and focus on the present moment.
3. Why is meditation so important today?
Meditation can powerfully give you a sense of calm, peace and balance that benefits both your emotional well-being and your overall health. It is a technique that people follow to live each day calmly and be kinder towards themselves and others in their life. The importance of meditation also extends to bettering the symptoms of certain medical conditions related to your heart and brain.