Just like how a good sleep makes you feel relaxed and refreshed, a good head massage has the same effect. And we're sure that a lot of you will agree to it. Probably that's why you make frequent salon appointments or go to your mom or grandma to get one. But, there's a way to apply hair oil, and if that isn't followed, it might cause serious damage to your hair. Head massages at salons might feel relieving, but they can damage your hair beyond your imagination. Hence, it's always better to be careful and know the best way to apply hair oil and all the dos and don'ts about the same.
Hair Oiling Dos:
Follow these important pointers while oiling your hair and you will never have to spend a day wondering if it's necessary to apply oil on hair or when should we apply oil on hair among other things -
1. Apply Oil Before a Hair Wash:
If you always wonder what is the best time to apply hair oil, this is it. Oiling your hair before a head wash works as a great moisturiser and if you want your hair to be hydrated and frizz-free, this will definitely work to your advantage. Hair oils protect the scalp from harsh chemicals present in your hair cleansing products.
2. Less is More:
When we're running late or feeling lazy, we often ask ourselves if it's necessary to apply oil on hair!? The answer is yes, it is. But you must know how much to apply. Some people soak their hair in oil till the time it drips from their tresses. However, your scalp and hair don't need that much oil and it will just ruin your scalp and hair health. The more oil you put on your head, the more shampoo you will need to rinse it all. This will further dry out your hair and lead to scalp issues like eczema. So, the best way to apply hair oil is to take small amounts of oil on your palms and evenly spread it out on the entire scalp and coat each hair strand from roots to the ends without overdoing it.
3. Warm the Oil a Little:
Warm oil penetrates your scalp and hair much better. Since oil molecules are quite big in size, it isn't easy for them to seep inside the skin of your scalp. Hence, the best way to apply hair oil is to warm it up, which helps break these molecules and your scalp can then get better nourishment. However, make sure that the oil is lukewarm and not extremely hot.
Hair Oiling Don'ts:
Make sure you note down these ‚Äònever-evers' of hair oiling so that questions like, "is it good to apply oil on wet hair?", "can we apply olive oil on hair?" or "applying oil to hair at night is good or bad?"
1. Avoid Tying Your Hair After Oiling Them:
When you apply hair oil to your hair, the hair cuticles open up and there are chances that constant pulling might cause breakage. Hair ties make your hair feel tight around your hairline. So, when you oil your hair, use a hair clip instead to loosely tie it up if needed.
2. Don't Leave the Oil in Your Hair Overnight:
Experts always maintain that keeping your hair oiled overnight is the biggest mistake people often make. When you leave the oil in your hair all night long, the dust gets collected and sticks to the hair and scalp. This dust can also block the hair follicles and lead to scalp infection. Hence, only oil your hair before washing it instead of using it as an overnight treatment. If you're wondering how long to keep oil in your hair before washing, 30 minutes should be more than enough ideally.
3. Avoid Oiling Your Hair if Your Scalp Type is Oily:
If you have an oily scalp, there are high chances of getting an infection if you frequently oil your hair. Especially with castor oil, you have to be extra careful because it can cause irritation on your scalp. So, if you're wondering if you can put castor oil in your hair every day? Well, if you have an oily scalp, then it's a strict no. Also, if you experience acne on your forehead due to an oily scalp, avoid applying oil to the crown region.
All in all, hair oiling is a great idea but you need to follow the above-mentioned dos and don'ts if you want to do it correctly. Remember to be gentle on your scalp and use your fingertips or a cotton swab to help penetrate the oil. Hair oiling helps rejuvenate the blood in your scalp, which promotes hair growth. But doing it the wrong way can damage your hair and cause hair loss. So, be careful while oiling your hair and how much of it is needed.
Often, people also have questions like, ‚Äúcan I apply olive oil on my hair?‚Äù or ‚Äúhow many times a week should I put coconut oil in my hair?‚Äù Well, here are some oils you can apply to your tresses.
Oils to Use on Hair:
Different oils have different vitamins, but, you should always do a patch test before using any of the below-mentioned oils on your scalp and hair to be sure you don't develop an allergy or have reactions to them.
1. Coconut Oil:
One of the most common oils used for hair oiling, it has a high affinity for hair protein, which means that this oil binds to protein and penetrates your scalp easily. Coconut oil is great for deep conditioning, providing natural protection to your hair and is generally an amazing choice for most hair types.
2. Sesame Oil:
This one is high in vitamin B1, copper, phosphorus, calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc and manganese. It reduces frizziness and may also prevent split ends. The antibacterial and antifungal properties of sesame oil help prevent dandruff.
3. Almond Oil:
This oil is loaded with vitamins B, K and E and is slightly thicker than coconut oil. It works wonderfully for hair growth.
4. Argan Oil:
This oil acts as a natural conditioner and helps strengthen the hair as it contains vitamins A, C, E, antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids.
Tips While Using Hair Oil:
There are a few things to keep in mind while using any type of oil on your hair -
1. Massage your hair oil in as it helps boost blood circulation, which leads to hair growth and also helps you feel relaxed. But at all times, avoid vigorously massaging the oil as it can cause breakage during and after oil massage. Use your fingertips to massage the oil in the roots and the scalp. Make sure that you don't tangle your hair in the process as that can also cause breakage.
2. Is it good to apply oil on wet hair? No! Your hair and scalp have to be clean so that the oil can get easily absorbed by the hair shaft. It is best to use oil on dry hair as the larger molecules may not penetrate the shaft of wet hair as efficiently as they can in the case of dry hair.
3. The amount of oil you need to apply usually depends on the oil that you're using, the purpose as well as the length of your hair. A few pumps or one to three palmfuls of oil can be massaged onto your scalp gently. One or two pumps are enough to coat all your hair strands, depending on the density and texture of your hair.
4. People who suffer from dandruff, seborrhoeic dermatitis and psoriasis should avoid hair oiling as it may increase flaking and cause more dandruff that sticks to the scalp. This leads to using more hair products to clean your hair, which leads to red patches, itching and inflammation.
The Best Ways to Apply Hair Oil:
Before oiling your hair, make sure you scoop out some oil if it's solid and microwave it to warm it a little.
Section off pieces of your hair and massage the oil from the roots to the tips.
Comb your hair with a wide-toothed comb to make sure the oil is evenly distributed and to also prevent tangles.
Repeat until all your hair is covered with oil and then tie them in a loose bun with a hair clip.
As hair products are quite important to use to get the oil off of your scalp and hair, we'd suggest you use chemical-free products that are made with natural ingredients. Pure Sense, a premium skincare and haircare brand has a range of hair cleansers
that are formulated with organic ingredients and designed to be gentle on your scalp.
Pure Sense Hair Care Products to Use:
1. Grapefruit Revitalising Hair Care Combo:
This combo comes with Grapefruit Revitalising Hair Cleanser & Hair Conditioner.
- The hair cleanser gently cleanses your hair and removes impurities while combatting excess oil production in the scalp.
- The hair conditioner, on the other hand, leaves your tresses smoother, shinier and bouncier.
Together, both of these hair care products work efficiently to revitalise your tresses and make detangling easier.
2. Macadamia Deep Nourish Hair Care Combo:
This combo is encased with a Macadamia-infused hair cleanser and hair conditioner.
- The hair cleanser is enriched with ethically-sourced macadamia nut oil that gently cleans and nourishes the scalp while leaving your hair frizz-free.
- The hair conditioner is loaded with vitamins and minerals that lock in the nutrients to soften the hair and add shine to them.
Together, the hair cleanser and hair conditioner are sure to soothe your scalp and strengthen your hair.Should we apply oil to hair before applying henna?|How often should you oil your hair?|Does oiling cause hair loss?Avoid adding oils or any type of conditioning products to your hair before using henna as they can hinder the dye uptake. You can apply henna on dry or damp hair, but hair oiling is a strict no.|Oiling your hair once or twice a week is fine. It's important to leave the oil on your hair for not more than 30 minutes to one hour, otherwise you run the risk of zits because the oil will run down on your skin and clog the pores.|Oiling your hair helps improve blood circulation in the scalp and stimulate the hair follicles. But, if you leave the oil on your head for too long, it can clog the pores and obstruct the oxygen from reaching the hair, which leads to hair damage, boils on the scalp, eventually resulting in hair fall.
Hair oiling is one of the best ways to achieve healthy, strong, silky hair. But, you must follow all the above-mentioned do's and don'ts along with the tips we provided so that you don't end up causing more harm than good to your tresses.
Explore our blog section to read more about topics such as Vitamins for hair growth
& Chemical free hair products
for healthy and strong hair.