AHA or Alpha-hydroxy Acid is good for our skin in several ways, which is why it is extensively used in the skincare industry. However, it is important to understand the benefits of AHA to understand if it is the right skincare ingredient for your skin. Today, we will look at the various AHA skin benefits, to understand in depth what is AHA. So let’s get right into it, shall we?
What Is AHA?
Alpha-hydroxy acids (AHAs) are a group of water-soluble acids that are derived from fruits and milk. They are commonly used in skincare products because of their ability to exfoliate the skin, improve texture and tone, and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
AHAs work by loosening the bonds between dead skin cells, which allows them to be more easily shed from the surface of the skin. This process of exfoliation helps to remove dull, dry, and dead skin cells, revealing brighter, smoother, and more youthful-looking skin.
There are several different types of AHAs that are commonly used in skincare products. Glycolic acid is one of the most popular and effective AHAs, as it has a small molecular size that allows it to penetrate deeply into the skin. Lactic acid is another commonly used AHA that is gentler than glycolic acid and is well-suited for those with sensitive skin. Other AHAs include citric acid, malic acid, and tartaric acid.
It is important to note that AHAs can increase sun sensitivity, so it's important to use sunscreen during the day when using AHA products. Additionally, it is recommended to start using AHA products gradually, starting with a lower concentration and building up over time to avoid irritation or sensitivity. Overall, AHAs are a powerful tool for achieving smoother, brighter, and more youthful-looking skin, but it's important to use them safely and responsibly.
You can pair your AHA skincare product with Pink Guava Day Cream by Pure Sense for the best results. This day cream is designed with the natural extracts of pink guava, pomegranate and Bengkoang for the natural nourishment of your skin. This day cream also comes with SPF 20 and UV Protection for all-around care. Moreover, all Pure Sense products are 100% natural, to give your skin natural care.
5 AHA Skin Benefits
There are several AHA skin benefits, making it a popular skincare ingredient. Here are some of its benefits.
- Exfoliation: AHAs work by breaking down the bonds between dead skin cells, which helps to slough off the top layer of dead skin cells and reveal smoother, brighter skin. This can help to reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and age spots, and can also help to improve the texture of the skin.
- Increased cell turnover: By exfoliating the skin, AHAs can help to stimulate cell turnover, which can lead to the production of new, healthy skin cells. This can help to improve the overall health and appearance of the skin.
- Improved hydration: AHAs can help to improve the skin's ability to retain moisture by increasing the production of hyaluronic acid, a natural substance that helps to keep the skin hydrated and plump.
- Reduced pigmentation: AHAs can help to reduce the appearance of hyperpigmentation and dark spots by breaking down the melanin that causes them. This can lead to a more even skin tone and a brighter complexion.
- Increased collagen production: AHAs can help to stimulate the production of collagen, a protein that helps to keep the skin firm and elastic. This can help to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and can also help to prevent future signs of ageing.
Overall, AHAs can be a beneficial addition to a skincare routine for anyone looking to improve the texture, tone, and overall health of their skin. However, it's important to start slowly and gradually introducing AHAs into your routine, as they can be irritating to some skin types.
How To Use AHA For Skin?
AHA, or alpha hydroxy acids, are commonly used in skincare products such as face toners, serums, and creams to improve the texture and appearance of the skin. Here are some tips on how to use AHA for your skin:
- Start Slow: If you are new to using AHAs, it is best to start with a lower concentration and gradually work your way up. This will help your skin adjust to the acids and minimise the risk of irritation or sensitivity.
- Choose the Right Product: Look for skincare products that contain AHA as an active ingredient. Some common AHAs include glycolic acid, lactic acid, and mandelic acid. Be sure to check the concentration of AHA in the product, as well as any other ingredients that may be irritating to your skin.
- Patch Test: Before applying AHA to your face, it is a good idea to do a patch test on a small area of your skin. Apply a small amount of the product to the inside of your wrist or behind your ear and wait 24 hours to see if you experience any irritation or allergic reactions.
- Follow Directions: Always follow the instructions on the product label. Depending on the concentration of AHA, you may need to apply the product once or twice a day. Be sure to avoid the eye area and any open wounds or broken skin.
- Use Sun Protection: AHAs can make your skin more sensitive to the sun, so it is important to use broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher when using AHA products. This will help protect your skin from further damage and prevent sunburn.
We hope now you know everything there is to know about AHA skin benefits and now has a better understanding of how to use it in your skincare routine.
FAQs on AHA Skin Benefits
Does AHA make skin glow?
Yes, AHA (alpha hydroxy acids) can help make skin appear more glowing and radiant. AHAs work by exfoliating the top layer of dead skin cells, which can make skin look dull and tired. By removing these dead skin cells, AHAs reveal fresher, brighter skin underneath.
In addition to exfoliating the skin, AHAs can also help improve the skin's texture and tone by stimulating collagen production. Collagen is a protein that helps keep skin firm and elastic, and as we age, our collagen levels naturally decline. By boosting collagen production, AHAs can help improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and give the skin a smoother, more youthful appearance.
Is it fine to use AHA every day?
Whether or not it is fine to use AHA (alpha hydroxy acids) every day depends on the concentration of AHA in the product and the sensitivity of your skin. AHAs are exfoliants that work by removing the top layer of dead skin cells, which can help improve the texture and appearance of the skin. However, overuse of AHAs can cause irritation, dryness, and sensitivity.
If you are new to using AHA, it is best to start with a lower concentration and gradually work your way up to allow your skin to adjust. You can start by using an AHA product 2-3 times a week and gradually increase the frequency as tolerated by your skin.
Is AHA better at night or day?
AHA (alpha hydroxy acids) can be used both during the day and at night. However, AHAs can make the skin more sensitive to the sun, so it may be more beneficial to use them at night to minimise the risk of sun damage and sunburn. Moreover, using AHA products at night can help enhance the skin's natural repair and renewal processes by allowing the active ingredients to penetrate deeply into the skin. Additionally, Using AHA products at night may also help minimise the risk of irritation, as the skin is typically less exposed to environmental stressors such as pollution, wind, and heat.