Dry Lips Treatment: How to Get Rid of Dry Lips
The skin on your lips is much thinner and delicate than the skin on the rest of your body. Hence, it easily dries out and starts to crack when exposed to elements like the sun, cold, dry air, dehydration, etc. Unlike the skin on your body, your lips don’t have oil glands of their own, and so, they cannot produce moisture, which can also lead to dry lips. But you don’t have to worry as we’ve got you some dry lips treatment that you can use regularly and take good care of your lips.
How to Get Rid of Dry Lips?
If you’re someone who’s been dealing with dry and chapped lips all year round and are wondering how to get rid of dry lips, make the following a part of your basic chapped lips treatment:
1. First and foremost, stop licking your lips because the saliva will only dry your lips further.
2. Avoid using flavoured lip balms. They might smell or taste good on your lips, but they can make your lips dry and crack sooner than you’d realise. Instead, use a lip balm that’s nourishing and hydrating at the same time. Like the Pure Sense Macadamia Nourishing Lip Balm. This chemical-free and cruelty-free lip balm powerfully moisturises your lips and prevents them from chapping. The pure ingredients in this lip balm help put a stop to discolouration and premature ageing while giving a fresh and rosy look to your lips.
3. Stay clear of allergens like fragrances, dyes, perfumes, etc. This means you need to avoid using cosmetics and products that contain these ingredients around your mouth.
4. Keep yourself hydrated throughout the day. Be sure to drink water at regular intervals. This is the easiest dry lips remedy that you can follow.
5. Use sunscreen on your lips to avoid the sun’s harmful UV rays. If we were to suggest you a lip balm, we’ll pick the Pure Sense Grapefruit UV Protection Lip Balm.. This product softens, heals and nourishes your lips while focusing on protecting your lips from UV damage. This organic lip balm is free of sulphates, parabens and carcinogens and it is suitable for all skin types. So, go ahead and consider this as a chapped lips treatment that you can use daily.
Tips to Deal with Dry Lips
1. Exfoliate Your Lips:
Just because you are dealing with dry lips, it doesn’t mean you can’t exfoliate them. Invest in a lip exfoliating product or a DIY lip scrub that helps exfoliate the dry skin on your lips once a week. Talking about DIY lip scrubs, here’s a great recipe – mix a little bit of honey with sugar and gently massage your lips with this scrub. Once you’re done, wipe it or wash it off with cold water. Sugar effectively removes dead skin cells, while honey locks in all the moisture in your lips. While you’re at it, also remember to not over-exfoliate your lips just because it feels good on your lips. Try this dry lips remedy once a week and you’ll eventually get soft and smooth lips.
2. Check the Ingredients in Your Lip Care Products:
Some lip care products with ingredients like camphor, eucalyptus, menthol, lanolin, etc., do more harm to your lips than good. Hence, always make sure to read the ingredient list before you spend your money on products that promise dry lips treatment. Look for ingredients like cocoa butter, coconut oil, shea butter, ceramides, etc., as they are safe to use.
3. Use Vitamin E on Your Lips:
Vitamin E can be used either out of capsules or in the form of lip care products. It works the best for dry skin and even boosts blood circulation, which helps generate new skin cells. Speaking of a lip care product that contains vitamin E, you can try the above-mentioned Pure Sense Macadamia Nourishing Lip Balm. Macadamia nut oil is loaded with vitamin E that helps keep the dry skin on your lips hydrated at all times. This works great as a cracked lips remedy as the antioxidants in vitamin E prevent skin inflammation.
4. Limit Exposure to Toxins:
Smoke, chemicals, polluted air can age the skin on your lips prematurely and result in your lips looking dark and wrinkled. Avoid cigarettes and secondhand smoking to improve the way your lips look and feel. Wearing a mask around your lips can also help protect them from overexposure.
5. Get Rid of Makeup Before Bedtime:
Never sleep with your makeup on, especially on your lips. It will only result in drier lips and acne-prone skin. Even if you don’t use lipstick, it’s always a good idea to clean your mouth with a makeup remover and then a face cleanser to make sure all the dirt and grime is off your face and lips. If you’re still thinking about how to get rid of dry lips, this tip is going to be very helpful.
6. Always Prep Before Applying Lipsticks:
Before you use any sort of lip makeup, make sure to coat your lips with a primer to stop them from drying out. You can also use a cotton swab or a lip brush to prime your lips with coconut oil or almond oil. Give it enough time to get entirely soaked before you swipe the lipstick on your lips.
7. Use Natural Plant Dyes:
If you’re sceptical about using a makeup product on your dry lips, go for natural plant dyes like raspberry juice or pomegranate juice. You can apply these directly onto your lips to temporarily stain your lips into a pinkish colour. Natural plant dyes won’t irritate or dry out your lips like many of the matte-finish, or heavy lipsticks do. So, they make for a safer option to use when you wish to go for a natural lip colour that’s slightly more pinkish than your skin tone and serves as a natural dry lips remedy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use olive oil for dry lips?
Yes, you can. In fact, you can use it as a scrub along with sugar to exfoliate the dead skin cells off your lips. Here’s an easy recipe for a DIY scrub – mix six to seven drops of olive oil with half a teaspoon of sugar and gently rub it on your lips to exfoliate them. Sugar works as an excellent exfoliating agent while olive oil helps moisturise the dry skin on your lips. If you wish to indulge in dry lips care, this lip scrub is something you should start with.
Should I peel my chapped lips?
You should never peel or bite your flaky lips. Since the skin on your lips is too delicate, picking chapped lips will only cause bleeding and bruises, and slow down the process of healing. Want to know a simple chapped lips remedy? Always reach out for a moisturising lip balm to hydrate your lips each time you get the urge to pick your lips.
What is the safest lip balm?
Any lip balm that contains ingredients like castor seed oil, hemp seed oil, mineral oil, petrolatum, shea butter, ceramides, sun-protective ingredients like titanium oxide or zinc oxide will serve well as your cracked lips remedy.
Don’t be discouraged if your lips don’t look as plumpy as you’d want them to. Invest your time and energy constantly into lip care, and you’ll eventually see the difference in the health of your lips. Always aim for healthy, hydrated and smooth lips, and you won’t have to worry about dry, chapped and cracked lips ever again.
Macadamia Soothing Body Mist | 100 ml
inclusive of all taxes
Relaxing Macadamia Deep Moisturising Body Oil – 100 ml
inclusive of all taxes
Rejuvenating Grapefruit Revitalising Face Cleansing Gel (Face Wash) – 100ml
inclusive of all taxes
Grapefruit Revitalising 3 in 1 Face Mask, Scrub & Cleanser 140gms
inclusive of all taxes